[INDOLOGY] Prof. George Chemparathy (1928-2021)

Karin.Preisendanz karin.preisendanz at univie.ac.at
Sun Nov 28 00:15:53 UTC 2021

Dear colleagues,

This is to inform you that our colleague Prof. George Chemparathy has
peacefully passed away in his sleep in the afternoon of November 24, at
Kattappana, Kerala. He was buried on November 26 at the cemetery of the
Brothers of Saint John of God there. I am attaching the notice of his
funeral.

Prof. Chemparathy earned his doctorate at the University of Vienna in
1963, under the supervision of Erich Frauwallner, and always remained
close to its Department of Indology and later on the Department of South
Asian, Tibetan and Buddhist Studies. After his retirement from Utrecht
University in 1990, he twice served as guest professor at the
Department.

For a short CV and a list of publications, please refer to
https://www.dutchstudies-satsea.nl/deelnemers/george-chemparathy/.

With much sadness,

Karin Preisendanz

--
Karin Preisendanz
Institut für Südasien-, Tibet- und Buddhismuskunde