[INDOLOGY] Hindus and Buddhists in Central Asia

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 22 17:06:54 UTC 2021

Hi Dean,

This recent publication contains many relevant references:
https://brill.com/view/title/59960?language=en

Richard Salomon's indian Epigraphy includes discussion of pertinent epigraphical evidence from Central Asia.

Viking artifacts of Asian provenance pose problems for interpretation. The Vikings were very active in the slave trade with Byzantium, which moved along the Volga river and Caspian sea, but the presence of a given artifact at a Viking site may not always imply that it arrived through Viking raiders moving upstream. There were also slave traders, and other merchants, based in Byzantine lands who moved downstream.

best,
Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études, émérite
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago

https://brill.com/view/title/60949

https://ephe.academia.edu/MatthewKapstein