[INDOLOGY] Daksha's 50 daughters

Robert P. GOLDMAN rpg at berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 16 19:39:34 UTC 2021

Dear François.

At Vālmīkirāmāyaṇa (criticism. ed.) 3.13.10 ff. Jaṭāyus tells Rāma the history of Dakṣa’s sixty (not fifty or sixteen)  daughters. Eight of  them, who become the wives of Kaśyapa are named   and, Jaṭāyus says that they became, respectively, the mothers of various gods and daityas as well as various species of animals.
Dr. R. P.  Goldman
William and Catherine Magistretti Distinguished Professor Emeritus and
Professor in the Graduate School
Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies MC # 2540
The University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-2540
Tel: 510-642-4089
Fax: 510-642-2409