[INDOLOGY] mallaghaṭī

Andrew Ollett andrew.ollett at gmail.com
Wed May 19 03:30:58 UTC 2021

Dear Patrick,

You will find it on p. 75 of H. D. Velankar's edition (
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wo9fbo3umeymv7g/k%C4%81lid%C4%81sa-vikramorva%C5%9B%C4%ABya-ed_velankar.pdf?dl=0).
It occurs as a stage direction. Velankar discusses this term, along with
the other curious and/or textually problematic aspects of the fourth act of
the play (where this term occurs), on p. lxxxvi of his introduction: “
*mallaghaṭī* involved the use of earthen pitchers (like the Garbā in
Gujarāt).”

Andrew