[INDOLOGY] is this the same palm leaf as the one used for writing? (Re: Tamil odiolai and mollakkol

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Mon May 10 03:49:38 UTC 2021

Dear VSR,

thanks a lot for your clarification,
/*தென்னங்கீற்று* ஓலைகள் (from coconut trees)/
which I find upon waking up this morning on this side of the Atlantic
ocean, although it would nevertheless take one hour to fly to the Ocean :-)

Yesterday, before going to bed, I had also sent a message to our common
friend Sharmila Ganesan (whom I know thanks to you :-)

She had also replied to me she thought it was thennai olai and that she
would make further verifications.

This morning I had another message from her which she sent after
consulting with Prof Selvakumar of Tamil University, Thanjai
and he also says it appears to be thennai olai.

His inputs:

Odi = மடி fold

He refers to this blog:
https://ilupeju.blogspot.com/2009/11/divine-labour-ward.html

He also sent a Ph.D. on the topic,
which I shall forward privately to you, to Herman and to Srilata because
I am not sure how well the PDF would go on the mailing list server

The thesis title page says

**********************+
UC San Diego
UC San Diego Electronic Theses and Dissertations
Title
Casting Selves: Tradition, Practice, and Ethics in an Artisan Community
in India
https://escholarship.org/uc/item/3vc1k17m
Author
Balaswaminathan, Sowparnika
Publication Date
2018
Peer reviewed|Thesis/dissertation

I am glad we are having this exchange

I really love to learn how things are made :-)

அன்புடன்

-- Jean-Luc (in Müssen)

https://twitter.com/JLC1956