[INDOLOGY] Tamil odiolai and mollakkol

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Fri May 7 18:44:33 UTC 2021

Dear List Members,

I was reading an article on the casting of bronze images in Tamilnadu. The author, apparently unfamiliar with written Tamil, mentions a flexible tape line called odiolai. The second part is ōlai, "palmleaf". But what is the first part?

In the same context mention is made of a mollakkol, the last part of which is most probably kōl, "yardstick". But here too: what is the first part? I hope someone will be able to tell me what to make of odi and molla.

Kind regards, Herman

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag