[INDOLOGY] deva+nagari

patrick mccartney psdmccartney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 05:44:52 UTC 2021

Dear Friends,

Might anyone be able to pinpoint the general/specific period/text when the
nāgarī lipi is divinised and qualified as devanāgarī?

The dates of 1st to 4th c. CE for its development and standard usage by the
7th c., with the modern lipi emerging in the 10th c. are reasonably clear.
Though, I find it difficult to pinpoint more accurately when the lipi
becomes a deva.

Are there any discussions of this in primary texts? Some sort of
orthographic argument? If you catch my sense.

Thank you.

All the best,

パトリック マッカートニー
Patrick McCartney, PhD
Research Affiliate - Organization for Identity and Cultural Development
(OICD), Kyoto
Research Associate - Nanzan University Anthropological Institute, Nagoya,
Japan
Visiting Fellow - South and South-east Asian Studies Department, Australian
National University
Member - South Asia Research Institute (SARI), Australian National
University

Skype / Zoom - psdmccartney
Phone + Whatsapp + Line:  +61410644259
Twitter - @psdmccartney @yogascapesinjap