[INDOLOGY] Re: Fwd: Petition: Save the South/Southeast Asia Library at UC Berkeley

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 14:39:24 UTC 2021

Thank you for sharing this.

The same thing happened in Leiden with the forced integration of the Kern
Institute library into the main library. Among the losses, most important
was the loss of a physical place within which scholars of South Asia could
meet. In addition, the library now puts all new publications directly into
the closed stacks, in order to "save space". The library is now more like
dead storage than a living place, despite the creation of an "Asian
Library" which is, however, not freely open to visitors, does not allow
good access to the book collections, etc. It's one good way to erode a
field as a dynamic entity, and depressing that the verbiage of the UC
Berkeley library document shared on the website is nearly identical to that
used in Leiden.

Jonathan Silk

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 3:10 PM Dominik Wujastyk <wujastyk at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

website: www.OpenPhilology.eu
copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk