[INDOLOGY] "Pañcar.4,8,37" in Böhtlingk and Roth

Toke Knudsen Toke.Knudsen at oneonta.edu
Sat Mar 13 16:58:23 UTC 2021

Dear all,

Would anyone know what “Pañcar. 4,8,37” in Böhtlingk and Roth’s dictionary refers to? It’s cited under bhūgola:

https://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/scans/csl-apidev/servepdf.php?dict=PWG&page=5-0334

The abbreviation “Pañcar” is not found in the dictionary’s list of abbreviations. The Cologne people provide this note:

PAÑCAR = PAÑCARATNA ? [Cologne Addition]

Monier-Williams, under bhūgola, cites “Pañcar,” which is explained as “Pañcarātra” in the list of abbreviations. I assume therefore that Pañcarātra is correct and Pañcaratna is wrong. Under the entry pāñcarātra, MW has “N. of sev. works,” which doesn’t help much. Pāñcarātra is a large body of literature.

The fifth volume of Böhtlingk and Roth, which has the entry bhūgola, came out in 1868. As such, I assume that we’re dealing with a work for which a Western edition was published prior to 1868. Since three numbers are needed for the reference in Böhtlingk and Roth, I further assume that we’re dealing with a larger work.

I have looked in the NCC under Pañcar○ and Pāncar○ for a work with a printed edition published before 1868, but without luck.

Any help in identifying the text in the reference will be greatly appreciated.

Have a good weekend.

All best wishes,
Toke