[INDOLOGY] Re: archeological puzzle

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 19:00:55 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 at 02:39, Matthew Kapstein <mkapstei at uchicago.edu> wrote:

I am aware that the "proto-Siva" interpretation of certain Indus Valley
> seals has been much contested during the last few decades [...]

I was long ago convinced by the compelling arguments of Doris Srinivasan
that the Indus seals having nothing to do with either Śiva or yoga.

Srinivasan, Doris. “The So-Called Proto-śIva Seal from Mohenjo-Daro: An
Iconological Assessment.” *Archives of Asian Art*, 29 (1975): 47–58.
http://www.jstor.org/stable/20062578.

Srinivasan, Doris. “Unhinging ŚIva from the Indus Civilization.” *Journal
of the Royal Asiatic Society*, 116, no. 1 (1984): 77–89.
https://doi.org/10.1017/s0035869x00166134.
Surely this issue isn't "much contested" any more, at least scholarly
circles?

Further discussion in Samuel, Geoffrey. *The Origins of Yoga and Tantra:
Indic Religions to the Thirteenth Century.* Cambridge: Cambridge University
Press, 2008, in Asko's work and elsewhere.

Best,
Dominik