[INDOLOGY] Where can you do a BA in Sanskrit?

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 02:43:55 UTC 2021

What about

*l’histoire de la société, des philosophies et des religions indiennes*, ou
encore* l’histoire de la con­nais­sance de l’Inde*.

Those would not be courses involving reading Sanskrit as such, would they?
They would be in French, about India?

Similarly at UT Austin, it looks like students have to take lots of courses
called,

Asian Studies related to South Asia

Again, that wouldn't be actual reading of Sanskrit texts, would it?  And
there appear to be a lot of courses under "Core" that are not Sanskrit. (US
History; Social and Behavioural Science, etc.).  Presumably students take a
few of these?  So it's a general humanities degree with a high Sanskrit
content.  Would that be right, or am I misunderstanding?

I was thinking about a degree that focussed on Sanskrit language and
literature, not a course where Sanskrit was a component (even a large
component).  I'm thinking of the Oxford BA, or the BA at SOAS, when it
existed, in the days when it was taught by Mr J. E. B. Gray with his
legendary cyclostyled, typewritten, four-year course.  Or the courses
taught at German universities in the days of the old MA system.

Best,
Dominik