[INDOLOGY] dhīmahi

Walter Slaje walter.slaje at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 17:41:38 UTC 2021

Ṛgvedic dhīmahi was already recognised by the authors of PW (s.v. √dhī) as
belonging to √dhā, rejecting the error of native interpreters, who
attributed the verbal form to √dhyā, an historical inaccuracy with a shift
of meaning that European scholars on occasion have also supported,
intentionally or unintentionally (e.g., “we concentrate” [Michaels,
Hinduismus, 108f]).
On this mode of the optative formed from the stem of the root aorist:
dh-ī-mahi from √dhā, cf. Oldenberg (“Noten”, 261); Renou (Études XVI, 103);
Witzel, Gotō et al. (Rigveda in German Transl., Komm. p. 460, with further
literature); “might we make our own” (Brereton/Jamison, vol. I, 554).
Already before Oldenberg, it was correctly understood and accordingly
translated by Ludwig (“wollen wir uns schaffen” / “we would procure us”);
Graßmann (“Daß wir (...) erlangten doch”). However, the past tense
(“empfingen wir”) is used by Geldner.

Regards,
WS