[INDOLOGY] Question about the Meeting of Jīva Gosvāmin and Mīrābāī

Tyler Williams tylerwwilliams at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 21:05:45 UTC 2021

Dear Radha,

The episode is mentioned by Priyadas (himself a Gaudiya) in his commentary
(the *Bhaktirasabodhinī*, 1712 CE) on the *Bhaktamāl  *(ca. 1600) of
Nabhadas (Ramanandi). The modern commentator, Rupkala, gives further detail
about the episode in his edition of the *Bhaktamāl *(which includes
Priyadas's commentary). I will send a pdf of the section of the text on
Mirabai, which includes the relevant episodes.

I'd like to acknowledge John S. Hawley, who introduced me to this part of
the text years ago (he also created the pdf), and point out that James
Hare's unpublished dissertation on the *Bhaktamāl *and *Bhaktirasabodhinī* is
still the best scholarly source on these works.

Best,
Tyler Williams
University of Chicago