[INDOLOGY] some thoughts about modality, vyaapti and `eva'

Eli Franco franco at uni-leipzig.de
Thu Jul 1 09:17:09 UTC 2021

Dear friends,
I have been wondering about something that is perhaps only tangent to
the discussion. Can one distinguish between reductio ad absurdum
(prasanga) and modus tollens (also prasanga?) in the Indian tradition?
I am not sure that the distinction between the two is clear in the
Western tradition either.
With best wishes,
Eli