[INDOLOGY] On the Date of Classical Tamil Poems

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Sun Jan 24 11:32:35 UTC 2021

Dear Palaniappan,

One more remark on the vēl̥āp pārppaṉ and the other examples given mentione by you. From these constructions it would appear that the terms pārppaṉ, porunar and pāṇaṉ refer to something like a (sub)caste called pār̥ppaṉ etc, whose members are not restricted to brahmins performing sacrificial duties. However, before being able to say something more in this line we have to have more examples of this type of compound.

Herman

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag