[INDOLOGY] Question about Gandhari Prakrit

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sat Jan 23 19:50:06 UTC 2021

Thanks, Andrew, for providing several clarifications. I am exploring the
degree of disconnect of the Āryavarta centered culture reflected in the
Mahābhāṣya of Patañjali from the northwestern region of Pāṇini. Patañjali
does occasionally refer to Kashmir.  I wonder if the region of Kamboja that
is referred to by Patañjali would include Pāṇini's Śalātura.  If my memory
serves me, Thieme takes Kamboja to refer to the eastern Iranian border
regions.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]