[INDOLOGY] Question about Gandhari Prakrit

Johannes Bronkhorst johannes.bronkhorst at unil.ch
Sat Jan 23 08:19:19 UTC 2021

Dear Madhav,
You raise an interesting question. One factor that must probably be taken into consideration in trying to answer it is the following: Though a center of Vedic culture at the time of Pāṇini (i.e., presumably before Alexander's invasion and the Maurya Empire), Gandhāra was no longer Brahmanical territory after the collapse of that empire. This I argue at length in my book How the Brahmins Won (Brill 2016), especially § I.1.3.
Johannes Bronkhorst