Re: [INDOLOGY] Aṅgula

Olivelle, J P jpo at austin.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 14 17:20:04 UTC 2021

Yes — like foot — probably developed an objective length from a previous subjective measurement. Even today, I have seen workers take a rough measurement outdoors for fences etc but putting one foot after the other to arrive at X number of feet. But I think in many śāstric works “aṅgula” has a specific meaning.