[INDOLOGY] Chaos in Indian mythology and philosophy

Joanna Jurewicz j.jurewicz at uw.edu.pl
Mon Jan 11 13:12:02 UTC 2021

I think that not only darkness (tamas), but also flood (salila), beginning
with  (RV 1, 164.41, 10.129.3), and used, in later texts (up to Smrti
cosmogonies) very consequently to conceive and express the pre-creative
state of the world, which might correspond to the Greek concept of chaos.
Maybe also the concepts of asat (RV 10.72.2, 10.129.4) as opposing to sat,
cosmos.

Regards,

Joanna Jurewicz

---

Prof. dr hab. Joanna Jurewicz

Katedra Azji Południowej /Chair of South Asia Studies

Wydział Orientalistyczny / Faculty of Oriental Studies

Uniwersytet Warszawski /University of Warsaw

ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28

00-927 Warszawa , Poland

Department of Linguistics and Modern Languages

College of Human Sciences

UNISA

Pretoria, RSA

Member of Academia Europaea

https://uw.academia.edu/JoannaJurewicz

pon., 11 sty 2021 o 04:09 Luis Gonzalez-Reimann via INDOLOGY <