[INDOLOGY] Re: Puranas

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 15:45:27 UTC 2021

I suppose that your query has long since been answered privately, but we
cannot know for sure. There is a statement in some of these volumes that
the whole series (Ancient Indian Tradition and Mythology) is translated
from the Venkatesvara Steam Press editions, which in this statement are
termed the vulgate. As is well known, the Venkatesvara editions were in
most cases simply printed versions of a particular manuscript of that
purana, correcting only obvious scribal errors, since the purpose was to
make the puranas available on print. Of the ones you mentioned, I have seen
that the Vayu is in fact translated from the Venkatesvara edition, and a
spot check of the Linga also indicates the same. So I assume that the
others are, too. However, the Skanda translation is a reprint of an earlier
translation published starting in 1950, rather than being newly translated
for the series. So I do not know what edition that translation was based
on.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.