[INDOLOGY] Re: Hymns that are a mixture of sanskrit and vernacular languages

rajam rajam at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 14 04:34:35 UTC 2021

Dear Harry Spier,

You have asked for studies/articles, which in my view would be secondary sources. Nevertheless, I’m giving you a good primary source to contact. I hope it will be of some help.

South Indian Carnatic/Classical Music is loaded with songs/hymns depicting a mixture of Sanskrit and different regional languages such as Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil.  [One main reason for the ‘Tamil nationalists’ to boycott them! ;-) ]

A wonderful musician, Prince Rama Varma (from the erstwhile Travancore Kingdom; a direct descendant of a ruling king and a great composer Maharaja Swathi Thirunal & the famous painter Raja Ravi Varma), considers such songs display a  'maṇipravāḷa style,’ meaning that such songs have one line in Sanskrit and another in a regional language.

Prince Rama Varma has been singing bhajans, hymns, songs, … from several Indian languages.

Feel free to contact Prince Rama Varma at: writetoramavarma at gmail.com <mailto:writetoramavarma at gmail.com>
His Website address: http://ramavarma.yolasite.com <http://ramavarma.yolasite.com/>

Regards,
rajam