[INDOLOGY] Poṉṉiyiṉ Celvaṉ

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan palaniappa at aol.com
Mon Dec 13 23:18:03 UTC 2021

Dear Herman,

Here is the Wikipedia article on the Poṉṉiyin celvaṉ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponniyin_Selvan. Although the title refers to Rajaraja I, most people consider Vantiyattēvaṉ, the real historical husband of Kuntavai to be the hero of the novel. I am giving below what Kamil Zvelebil wrote about the historical novels of Kalki.

“His three great historical novels are Pārttipan kaṉavu 'Parttiban's Dream' (Madras 1941-43) dealing with the 7th century Pallava period, Poṉṉiyin celvaṉ 'The Treasure of Poṉṉi' in 5 volumes (Madras 1955) on 10th century Chola history, and Civakāmiyiṉ capatam 'The Vow of Sivakami' (Madras 1948) returning again to the 7th century Pallavas. In these historical novels, Kalki has no doubt created a few very impressive characters, e.g. Naganadi of the last novel; while some of his major heroes are failures (e.g. Sivakami herself), he deals rather skilfully with the minor characters. His cliches become tiresome: like A. Dumas, he used the device of creating the original and its duplicate (typical are Naganandi and Pulikeśin in Civakāmi); like Walter Scott, he hides his characters in disguise (e.g. king Mahendravarman in Civakami). Social history escaped him. He did not picture the life of the people, and in this feature he was not like W. Scott who gave a total picture of Scotland in his Waverly novels. He reads more like A. Dumas—only the French writer used better constructed plots and his characterisation is sometimes great.” Source: Kamil Zvelebil (1974). Tamil Literature. Otto Harassowitz, Wiesbaden, p. 275.