[INDOLOGY] online symposium: Indian Ocean and Epigraphy | 1000-1300hrs CET | Dec 10, 2021

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 00:14:54 UTC 2021

The first reports of the underwater archaeology near Dwaraka were written
by S. R. Rao.  He was an innovative archaeologist and managed to convince
the Indian navy to work with him.  He did indeed find man-made remains of
walls etc. underwater.  However, he was a staunch Hindutva supporter and
promoted the idea that he had discovered Kṛṣṇa's original city.  I visited
him, years ago, and I speak from personal experience of our conversation.
In my view, his published work is a mixture of excellent and innovative
underwater archaeology and fanciful interpretation.
Best,
Dominik Wujastyk