[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit linguistics

Hock, Hans Henrich hhhock at illinois.edu
Sun Aug 29 20:55:25 UTC 2021

Dear Colleague,

Even as early as the Rig Veda there is evidence, both for ṣ occurring after a-vowels and for s occurring after i- and u-vowels. See the evidence further below.

What made the distribution of s and ṣ unpredictable is the fact that Proto-Indo-Iranian š, the source of Skt. ṣ is of two sources. One if the development of earlier s to š after “RUKI” (i.e. r-sounds, u-sounds, velars, and i-sounds; in the case of the vocalic sounds, both syllabic and nonsyllabic); the other was the development of PIE *ḱ to š before obstruent. Examples are nis- > niš ‘down’ and oḱtō > aštā ‘eight’.

As the second example shows, the second of these changes introduced š after a-vowels and thus made the RUKI outcome of s opaque and hence contrastive (consider e.g. Skt. asta- ‘thrown’ beside aṣṭā(u) ‘8’, with s and ṣ contrasting after a-vowel.

This contrastiveness, in turn, made it possible for analogical processes to extend ṣ into contexts after a-vowels (as in pary-a-ṣasvajat) as well as for borrowings and the like with ṣ after a-vowels and s after “RUKI” to be adopted without further adjustment.

All the best,

Hans Henrich Hock
Linguistics and Sanskrit (emeritus)
University of Illinois

Contrastiveness of retroflex sibilant in Sanskrit
Unpredictable occurrences after a-vowels in the RV
áṣāḍha ‘invicible’
áṣatarā ‘more beneficial’ (1.183.4)
kaváṣa (PN) (534.12)
cā́ṣa ‘Häher’ (923.13)
jálāṣa ‘healing’ (1.43.4 in compound)
caṣā́la ‘Knauf der Opfersäule’ (1.162.6)
váṣaṭ (ritual call) (passim)
Note also
paryaṣasvajat (pluperf.) ‘embraced’
Contrastive and unpredictable examples after a-vowels in later Vedic
mā́ṣa ‘bean’
mā́sa ‘moon, month’
bhāṣ- ‘speak’
bhās- ‘shine’
jhaṣá ‘large fish’
Some Post-Vedic examples after a-vowels
kaṣ- ‘rub, scratch’
kas- ‘go, move’ (DhP)
laṣ- ‘desire’ (MBh etc.)
Dental sibilant (s) after i- and u-vowels in Vedic
ṛbī́sa ‘cleft, gap’ (RV)
kīstá ‘singer’ (RV)
kúsindha ‘trunk’ (AV)
Some examples of ental sibilant (s) after i- and u-vowels in Post-Vedic
kisalaya ‘sprout, shoot’
kusuma ‘flower’
bisa ‘shoot, sucker’