[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit mnemonics?

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Aug 23 19:52:35 UTC 2021

It depends upon how narrowly or widely one defines the word "mnemonic".
There are a good deal of aids for memorization in Sanskrit, especially in
various Śāstras and for the Vedic reciters. One such device is used in
helping memorize Pāṇini's Aṣṭādhyāyī. For each Pāda, there is a string that
includes the first words of rules 1, 20, 40, 60 etc. and the number of
rules in the final odd lot. For example, the string for the first Pāda is:
वृद्धिराद्यन्तवदव्ययीभाव:प्रत्ययस्यलुक्पञ्चदश. There are 32 such strings
for the entire Aṣṭādhyāyī. One is expected to memorize the entire
Aṣṭādhyāyī. But to find the numerical place of any given rule, if one
begins reciting with that rule, very quickly one hits one of the location
markers in one of these strings, and then it is an easy calculation.  My
senior classmate in Pune, Mr. S.L. Athlekar used to do this in a split
second, and then he taught his 8 year old daughter to do this. So this was
a very efficient system.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]