[INDOLOGY] 5th upadate to our Rāmāyaṇa archive material

John Brockington John.Brockington at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 27 15:31:55 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the fifth update of our material on the
Oxford Research Archive, first deposited in January 2016; this update is
identified as April 2021. We do so in order that it can be available for
others to consult even in its present, unfinished state.It can be
accessed at the same location
<http://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:8df9647a-8002-45ff-b37e-7effb669768b
<http://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:8df9647a-8002-45ff-b37e-7effb669768b>>
or you can find it via the Bodleian Libraries website, under ORA, by
looking for either our surname or its title, "Development and spread of
the Rāma narrative (pre-modern)".

As before, there are additions, revisions and corrections to the
material throughout.However, areas which have seen the greatest changes are:

·further re-organisation of folders: introducing a new folder, F. New
Beginnings, which replaces the now deleted document within B.
Bibliographic Inventory entitled 2A. Notes towards stage 3 (some of its
contents have been transferred instead either to 2. Vālmīki Rāmāyaṇa or
to 3. MBh &Purāṇas);

·Work by MB includes some new material, particularly on N Indian
vernacular texts, in the ‘Narrative Elements tabulations’, where the
previous ‘Cumulative’ file was becoming so unwieldy that it has now been
sub-divided into 3 parts for greater ease of access.Most other work is
focused on stage 3 of the /VRm/, revising previous notes and preparing
new material for an in-depth study (in preparation) of the /Bāla /and
/Uttara kāṇḍas/ themselves and their consequences for the rest of the
/VRm/ text and narrative as a whole.Included is a detailed examination
of 7,1-36 (Agastya’s post-victory narratives of the earlier exploits of
the /rākṣasas/ and of Hanumān’s supremacy), exploring the innovative
image of gods, heroes and /rākṣasas/ alike now being presented by these
new authors;

·Work by JLB includes considerablefurther additions to all the
bibliographic sections of files within B. Bibliographic Inventory, as
well as the merging of the previously separate bibliographies for the
/VR/ as a whole and for the third stage and other additions to and
revision of 2. /Vālmīki Rāmāyaṇa/.There have also been major additions
to the data within 10. visual (India).

//

If you are aware of colleagues in other fields (for example Southeast
Asian languages or visual culture) who might be interested, do please
pass the information on to them – and similarly, if any of you have
access to suitable academic lists on which it could be posted, we would
be grateful if you would send it to them.

As always, we shall be grateful for any comments from anyone who has
used the material.

With all good wishes

John and Mary

John Brockington

Fellow, Oxford Centre for Hindu Studies

Emeritus Professor of Sanskrit, University of Edinburgh

Vice President, International Association of Sanskrit Studies

Mary Brockington

Fellow, Oxford Centre for Hindu Studies

Research Fellow, International Association of Sanskrit Studies