[INDOLOGY] Unknown sign in a Nepalese MS

Birgit Kellner birgit.kellner at oeaw.ac.at
Mon Apr 12 05:06:40 UTC 2021

Dominik,

I came across similar signs in proto-Bengali manuscripts and gathered
some information and documentation with the help of my colleagues in
Vienna.

I'm attaching a PDF summarizing what I found (this was back in 2017).
It's interesting that they would occur in a Nepalese ms. this late.

Generally helpful in such cases is Katrin Einicke, „Korrektur,
Differenzierung und Abkürzung in indischen Inschriften und
Handschriften“, Wiesbaden 2009 (references to relevant pages in my PDF).

Hope this helps,

best regards,

Birgit

Am 11.04.21 um 23:14 schrieb Dominik Wujastyk via INDOLOGY:
> I am looking for help with these signs that I'm seeing in the
> fifteenth-century Nepalese MS, MS Kathmandu NAK 5-333
> <https://www.panditproject.org/entity/102310/manuscript>:
>
> image.png
>
> and
>
> image.png
>
> Here, the surrounding word is pāke
>
> These symbols are not letters, since they don't contribute to the
> surrounding text, but interrupt it.  I have wondered whether they are
> the scribe expressing that his archetype has a string-hole at this
> place, perhaps, but I don't see the symbols often enough for that.
> They occur rather rarely.
>
> Has anyone seen these?
>
> Best,
> Dominik
>
> --
> Professor Dominik Wujastyk
> <https://apps.ualberta.ca/directory/person/wujastyk>
> ,
>
> Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
> ,
>
> Department of History and Classics
> <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
> ,
> University of Alberta, Canada
> .
>

> South Asia at the U of A:
> sas.ualberta.ca <http://sas.ualberta.ca/>
>
> SSHRC research: The Suśruta Project <http://sushrutaproject.org>

Prof. Birgit Kellner, PhD
Direktorin
Institut für Kultur- und Geistesgeschichte Asiens
Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften
Hollandstraße 11-13/2
1020 Wien

Prof. Birgit Kellner, PhD
Director
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Hollandstrasse 11-13/2
1020 Vienna
Austria