[INDOLOGY] new publication

Rosane Rocher rrocher at sas.upenn.edu
Sat Sep 26 01:24:42 UTC 2020

Dear Colleagues,

Please allow me to announce a new publication:

Rosane Rocher, with Agnes Stache-Weiske, /For the Sake of the Vedas. The
Anglo-German Life of Friedrich Rosen 1805–1837,
/Abhandlungen für die Kunde des Morgenlandes, vol. 118, XX–396 pages,
ISBN 978-3-447-11448-6, available in printed paperback form and as e-book.
https://www.harrassowitz-verlag.de/For_the_Sake_of_the_Vedas/title_6630.ahtml

“If it were not for the Vedas, the university alone would not keep me in
London… I like to compare myself to an Indian muni, who forsakes other
concerns for a while to read the Vedas in peace and attain Indra’s
heaven, which in my case might be some German university.” Friedrich
Rosen thus wrote his teacher Bopp in 1830. Drawing primarily from a vast
correspondence, most of it unpublished, this biography documents and
analyzes his resolve and its impact on the rise of European Indology.
The works of this first PhD in Sanskrit at a German university and first
professor of Sanskrit at a British university include the first edition
and translation of the first book of the Rigveda, with notes incomplete
at his untimely death, and the first edition and translation of the
oldest Arabic treatise on algebra. Yet more momentous was the help Rosen
gave to continental scholars from Humboldt, Schlegel, and Burnouf to
beginners, with sources uniquely accessible in England. He also
exercised his influence on the Oriental Translation Fund to publish
their works as models of critical and comparative scholarship. His
mentor Humboldt acknowledged “I can only deeply regret that we … must be
deprived of your presence. Yet, it is definitely of greater benefit for
you, and even more for scholarship, that you remain so many years close
to the sources of the works to which you are devoting yourself.”

With all best wishes,
Rosane Rocher