[INDOLOGY] Question

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Sep 16 00:45:42 UTC 2020

The question arose because someone asked me if the word *pratibhū *will
have alternative forms similar to forms of *subhrū*, like *subhruve/subhruvai
*etc.  After thinking further about this question, I came to the conclusion
that since we typically use the word *subhrū *in feminine, it has those
alternative forms similar to *matyai/mataye*, but we typically use the
word *pratibhū
*"guarantor" in masculine, it will not have such alternative forms.
However, if for some reason, this guarantor happened to be a woman, then we
could get the alternative forms like *pratibhuve/pratibhuvai*.  I have not
seen these forms in actual attestations, but in theory, this is my
understanding. Does it make sense?

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]