[INDOLOGY] locative of goal

Tim Felix Aufderheide timfelixaufderheide at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 16:43:31 UTC 2020

Dear list members,

can anybody point me to the Sutra/Bhashya in which Panini or the later
Paniniyas state their view(s) regarding the grammaticality of locatives
that denote the goal of a motion verb like /gam/- (as, e.g., in RV
7.32.10d /gamat sa gomati vraje/)? Even after hours of searching, I have
to confess that I failed to find any Sutra/Bhashya vel sim. explicitely
allowing this particular use of the locative...

NB: I am aware that the (from our perspective intransitive) motion verbs
count as sakarmakas in native grammar and thus the accusative usually
applies (apart from some cases in which the dative is licensed as well).

Thanks a lot in advance

Tim