Re: [INDOLOGY] fate of demons slain by Rāma

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 12:41:00 UTC 2020

Studies on the history of the theme of Jaya -Vijaya and their incarnations
as demons could be one route to tracing the history of this theme.

Studies on the historical background of the occurrence of this narrative in
Bhagavata Purana may provide clues.

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 3:52 PM Matthew Kapstein via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> It is often said that the demons killed by Rāma
> are in fact liberated or dispatched to favorable rebirths, which of course
> provides a needed ethical fig-leaf with which to gloss the violence done to
> them.
> The notion that the demon is in fact freed by Rāma is, so far as I am
> aware, explicit in some cases (e.g. the story of Virādha), but not in every
> case.
> When and where does it become a universal principle applied to all those
> killed? And are there any studies that you can recommend that focus on this
> particular theme? (which is perhaps more systematic in Kampan than in
> Vālmiki??)
>
> Thanks in advance for any references you may be able to provide to
> scholarship on this subject.
>
> Matthew
>
> Matthew Kapstein
> Directeur d'études, émérite
> Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris
>
> Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
> The University of Chicago

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre , Indic Academy
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.