[INDOLOGY] [RISA-L LIST] sources on markers of girls' transition to adulthood

Lubin, Tim LubinT at wlu.edu
Sun Sep 6 14:22:56 UTC 2020

This catalogue of human misery seems rather to support Dr. Langenberg’s points: the very early pregnancies listed here as extreme cases are full of medical interventions, underweight and premature births, deaths, etc.  The teenage-pregnancy page says:
“There are additional concerns for those under the age of 15 as they are less likely to be physically developed to sustain a healthy pregnancy or to give birth…. Risks of low birth weight, premature labor, anemia, and pre-eclampsia are connected to biological age, being observed in teen births even after controlling for other risk factors (such as accessing prenatal care etc.).”
“The facts.”
Early marriages have been common in India and elsewhere, esp. in the past, and must be understood within their cultural contexts.  We also need to take account of the nature and limitations of our sources.  But general physiological considerations are also relevant.

TL