[INDOLOGY] [RISA-L LIST] sources on markers of girls' transition to adulthood

Robert Goldman rpg at berkeley.edu
Sat Sep 5 18:09:11 UTC 2020

So, for what it is worth, Kullūka on the MS passage regards the verse to be more of a recommendation than a rule. etac ca yogyakālapradarśanaparaṃ na tu niyamārtham. He also puts bit of thought into the term satvaraḥ, “if in haste” which appears to be rendered as “sooner” in the translations offered.  Kullūka  understands that a girl who has reached the  age of menstruation is a suitable bride for a youth who has completed his vedic studies and made his parting gift to his guru since such a  youth should not then delay in entering the stage of a householder. Hence, he says, the term satvaraḥ, “in haste” is specified.  tribhāgavayaskā ca kanyā voḍhur yūno yogyeti gṛhītavedaś copakurvāṇako gṛhasthāśramaṃ prati na vilambeteti satvara ity arthaḥ.

Cheers to all.

Bob Goldman
Dr. R. P.  Goldman
Catherine and William L. Magistretti Distinguished Professor in South and Southeast Asian Studies
Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies MC # 2540
The University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-2540
Tel: 510-642-4089
Fax: 510-642-2409