[INDOLOGY] Question

Lubomír Ondračka ondracka at ff.cuni.cz
Thu Sep 3 08:03:38 UTC 2020

Dear Madhav,

for a detailed refutation of the Advaitavedānta position in the Śaivasiddhānta text, see Paramokṣanirāsakārikā, verses 2b (pūrvapakṣa) and 49–52 (pp. 231–236 and 423–441 in Alex Watson's translation).

In the introduction (pp. 23–27), Alex discusses the question of what kind of Advaitavedānta it is, and develops Alexis Sanderson's argument that while Sadyojyotiḥ is arguing against pariṇāmavāda, the commentator Rāmakaṇṭha already knows māyāvāda of Mandanamiśra and Śaṅkara. However, Alex demonstrates that Rāmakaṇṭha seems to refute some third type of Advaitavedānta here.

Best
Lubomir