[INDOLOGY] Manusmriti ... (Olivelle, J P)

Donald R Davis drdj at austin.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 29 19:27:08 UTC 2020

The context at the beginning of Chapter 9 is the law or duties between a man and wife. However, the misogyny of the text is unmistakeable (though hardly out of line with nearly all texts in antiquity) and 9.14-15 seem to (mis-)characterize females generally. However, I would add is that pauṃścalya here denotes lust or an innate sexual desire for men. While it may sometimes refer to a prostitute, the primary meaning of “prostitute” (at least in American English) is one who has sex in exchange for money. Granted, there are other meanings, but the money piece matters, I think, because the condemnation in Manu is about women’s temptations and attributed inclinations toward adultery, not prostitution in a strict sense. The passage is exhorting husbands to control their wives (or, more deviously, keep women hyper-occupied, 9.10-12) in order to prevent their adultery. It then justifies this control on the false grounds of women’s innate lechery, fickleness, and general inconstancy.

The question might be asked whether the English distinction of adultery and prostitution maps on precisely and consistently to Sanskrit terms, but it would seem important to keep the two distinct at the outset.

Best, Don

Don Davis
Dept. of Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin