[INDOLOGY] Manusmriti ...

rajam rajam at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 29 04:36:18 UTC 2020

Dear List Members,

I need your help in understanding something from Manusmriti.

Is there any passage/rule in this text that states that ‘all women are prostitutes’? Or anything close to such thought?

In Tamilnadu, there is a severe extremist movement wanting to burn Manusmriti. As the next election is approaching, the political scene is getting ugly as usual. One party’s propaganda includes that Manusmriti should be removed/burned down since it looks at women as prostitutes.

I was wondering if any of you would kindly check Manusmriti and let me know if he really declared that all women are prostitutes.

I would very much appreciate your help.

Thanks and regards,
V.S.Rajam