[INDOLOGY] Etymology of Skt. nilaya

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Fri Oct 23 23:13:03 UTC 2020

As for Sanskrit *nilaya*, we not only have the noun *nilaya*, but the verb
*ni+līyate*, which is productively used in Sanskrit, along with words like
*nilīna,* a participle. The verb *līyate *can occur by itself, with
derivatives like *laya* and *līna*, and also with other preverbs, e.g.
*pra-līyate*, with derivatives like *pralaya *and *pralīna*. Given this
state of Sanskrit usage, how would one deal with the suggested Dravidian
etymology?

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]