[INDOLOGY] Mosquitoes

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 21:00:23 UTC 2020

What Dan and others say is quite right.  Ayurvedic literature works with
various etiologies: humoral, environmental, seasonal, karmic, etc., with
contagion only faintly referenced.  Ken Zysk and Rahul Peter Das have both
written about contagion in the classical texts, while one can also point to
the contagious transmission of syphilis mentioned by Bhāvamiśra in his
*Bhāvaprakāśa* (16 cent.).
Having a medical system that explains disease in terms of individual
constitutions raises a difficulty for physicians when faced with finding an
explanatory model for epidemic disease (janapadoddhvaṃsa), where everyone
comes down with the same symptoms in spite of being different people.  In
this case, the explanation is that the shared environment is blighted.
(Caraka offers a chapter that has much in common with the Hippocratic
treatise "Airs, Waters, Places" as Zysk has discussed.)  And one of the
elements in that blight is mosquitoes.  In my essay "Models of Disease in
Ayurvedic Medicine" I go into this and give more detail (pp. 46-8 of the
published version).

Best,
Dominik

--

   - Das, R. P. (2000). “Notions of ‘contagion’ in Classical Indian Medical
   Texts.” Contagion: Perspectives from Pre-modern Societies, pp. 55–78.

--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk
<https://apps.ualberta.ca/directory/person/wujastyk>

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
,

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
,
University of Alberta, Canada