[INDOLOGY] Mosquitoes

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at uni-bonn.de
Fri Oct 23 18:37:52 UTC 2020

Am 23.10.2020 um 14:24 schrieb James Mallinson via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info>:

> I’ve been asked whether I know of any studies of mosquitoes or other disease-carrying insects in Indian literature. I don’t, and a search of the indology archive reveals nothing either. I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Just to add some more references:

Ann Heirman: How to Deal with Dangerous and Annoying Animals: A Vinaya Perspective, in: Religions 10 (2019), No. 2 (URL: <https://doi.org/10.3390/rel10020113>)

Pali Jātaka story, no. 44: called “Mosquito Jataka” or “Boy and Mosquito” (Makasa-Jātaka)

T. R. Mitra: Taxonomic assessment of insects recorded in Kālidāsa’s works, in: Records of the Zoological Survey of India, 105 (2005), pp. 97-103 (URL: <http://faunaofindia.nic.in/PDFVolumes/records/105/01-02/index.pdf#page=112>), pointing to older articles like: C.S. Gupta: Insects in the Literature of Kālidāsa, in: Bulletin of the National Institute of Sciences of India, 1961, pp. 145-172.

Hope it helps,

Peter Wyzlic

--
Institut für Orient- und Asienwissenschaften
Bibliothek