[INDOLOGY] mas, masti, masta

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 16 07:15:08 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues,

With reference to the Dhātupāṭha, PW (whence MW) records a class-IV root mas, 'to measure, mete', and derived nominal forms masa, masana, masti. MW further records a ppp masta 'measured'.

In Böhtlingk's edition of the Aṣṭādhyāyī, in the appendix giving the Dhātupāṭha, I indeed find "masī parimāṇe (pariṇāme)" as entry 4.112.

I am eager to know whether there is any evidence for the actual use of any forms derived from mas 'to measure', and particularly of the forms masti and masta, whether in kośas or other kinds of sources liable to have been known to any author writing in the 9th century.

Thank you.

Best wishes,

Arlo Griffiths