Re: [INDOLOGY] kṛtti

Rolf Heinrich Koch rolfheiner.koch at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 13:53:44 UTC 2020

kṛttiḥ kamaṇḍalur:

I guess this is a "cut" drinking vessel (made of a piece of leather).

kṛtti < 1 kṛt "cut" (Whitney roots)

There is a picture of a mendicant with his kamaṇḍalu from Ajanta (5th
century CE)

Schlingloff/Zin (2007): Saṃsāracakra p. 103 fig. 56.

Best

Heiner

Am 15.10.2020 um 14:17 schrieb Johannes Bronkhorst via INDOLOGY:

> Dear friends,
>
> The Vivekavilāsa (8.275) mentions /kṛtti/ as one of the
> characteristics of Buddhist monks:
>
> kṛttiḥ kamaṇḍalur mauṇḍyaṃ cīraṃ pūrvāhṇabhojanam/
>
> saṃgho raktāmbaratvaṃ ca śiśriye bauddhabhikṣubhiḥ//
>
> /kṛtti/means "skin, hide" and other such things. Does this make sense
> in connection with a Buddhist monk? Any help or explanation will be
> appreciated.
>

> Johannes Bronkhorst

Dr. Rolf Heinrich Koch
www.rolfheinrichkoch.wordpress.com