Re: [INDOLOGY] Symbols in Śatapatha Brāhmaṇa text

Walter Slaje walter.slaje at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 06:41:05 UTC 2020

„*gum*“ is an onomatopoeic expression for "humming", an „imitation of the
humming of bees“ (MW, s.v.), so *guṃ-kāra* has a meaning, which is: „the
sound of humming“.

Replacing an Anusvāra with the prompt (as I understand it) "*guṃkāra*"
should therefore mean that at this point the pronunciation of a
(particular) nasal humming/buzzing sound is appropriate: "[Make] the
buzzing sound".

Regards,

WS