[INDOLOGY] Translations

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 09:56:50 UTC 2020

Majority of the classical Telugu literary works from the beginning i.e.,
from the 11th century  upto the 16th century are translations  rather
transcreations from Sanskrit only.

Transcreations from Sanskrit  continued even 16th century onwards alongside
independent Telugu narrative poems. Majority of these  independent Telugu
narrative poems which started with Manucharitramu translated into English
by  Profs Velcheru Narayana Rao and David Shulman borrowed the stories from
the Puranic sources just the way the Sanskrit Kavyas which were
transcreated into Telugu borrowed. A few narrative poems like
Kalapurnodayamu translated by Profs Velcheru Narayana Rao and David Shulman
into English as  "The Sound of Kiss " had the story created independently.

As such, we have a very big number of transcreations from Sanskrit into
Telugu.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 12:37 PM Dimitry Shevchenko via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Patrick,
>
> *Ñāṇavaciṭṭam *is a 16th-century Tamil version of the *Laghu-Yogavāsiṣṭha.
> *Ofer Peres from the Hebrew University has been working on this text.
>
> Best regards,
> Dimitry

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre , Indic Academy
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.