Re: [INDOLOGY] vekurañja, Turner's article

Roland Steiner steiner at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Nov 25 11:50:34 UTC 2020

> Against the dictionary entries as quoted by Roland Steiner, Van Buitenen
> translates /kharīvātsalya/ (MBh) as „a she-ass’s love“ (p. 435).

This corresponds to Ganguli's translation::

“If, O Sanjaya, thou art about to be stained with infamy and I do not
(from affection) tell thee anything, then that affection, worthless
and unreasonable, would be like that of the she-ass’s for her young.”

taṃ tvām ayaśasā spṛṣṭaṃ na brūyāṃ yadi saṃjaya
kharīvātsalyam āhus tan niḥsāmarthyam ahetukam (MBh 5.133.6)

The reason for this interpretation is obvious: The standard dictionary
meaning of /khara /is “donkey” (/kharī /“she-donkey”), but why should
the affection of a she-donkey towards her foal be “inappropriate” and
“groundless”? The PW (and other dictionaries), however, lists further
meanings of /khara/, including “mule” (“Maulthier”).
The fact that the female form /kharī /according to the same dictionary
also should mean “she-hinny” (“Mauleselin”) besides “she-donkey” could
be a further hint that the difference between mules and hinnies was
not taken into account here.

By the way, Böhtlingk's main source for the meaning "/khara/ = mule
('Maulthier')" is Puruṣottamadeva's /Trikāṇḍaśeṣa /2.8.44, where three
words meaning "mule" (and/or "hinny"?) are listed (/veśara /[=
/vesara/], /aśvatara/, and /khara/).

Best regards,
Roland Steiner