[INDOLOGY] Academia.edu and privacy issues

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 02:46:10 UTC 2020

This is worrying.  I've been getting Academia.edu "push" suggestions too,
but I haven't connected them with my emails.

Gmail emails are encrypted by default, end-to-end.  TLS encryption (as long
as the recipient has TLS too).  So Academia.edu can't see them.

Google searches are public (see the fascinating Seth
Stephens-Davidowitz, *Everybody
Lies*), but not *who* did the searching afaik.

It's hard to know how this is happening, but it is a bit creepy.  I'll ask
the Academia.edu people.

Best,
Dominik