Re: [INDOLOGY] vekurañja

Dan Lusthaus prajnapti at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 12:37:35 UTC 2020

On second look, aśva (not asvā), would be a male horse, so kharastriyām aśvāj jātā vaḍavā would mean born from a female donkey and (male) horse, though I’m not sure what to make of vaḍavā/vaḍaba “a male horse resembling a mare (and therefore attracting the stallion)” (MW).

So that is an attempt to treat aśvatarī as a hinny. But is that followed consistently in the literature?

Dan

>>> Germany