[INDOLOGY] sources for the idea that reincarnation is a semi-random process?

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 20:02:52 UTC 2020

I was wondering whether to bring up Ian Stevenson (and his collaborators
and successors, including Jim Tucker) and had decided not to, but now
that his name has been mentioned, I feel it must be said in the interest
of fairness that there is no consensus opinion that his work was flawed
(and I personally consider it hugely impressive). But this is a very
ideologized topic, as others have pointed out (/pace /Dominik). As
philosopher Stephen Braude put it when describing his interest in
so-called paranormal phenomena (a misnomer, in my view): /I had enough
sense to put it all aside until I completed my Ph.D., landed a teaching
job, did some respectable mainstream philosophy, and earned tenure. (I
may be crazy, but I'm not stupid.)/

Although not relating to Indology, and only indirectly to reincarnation,
the 800-page /Irreducible Mind/ (eds. Kelly & Kelly et al., 2008) may be
found relevant by list members interested in the philosophical (and
empirical) issues at stake here.

Best wishes,
Martin Gansten