[INDOLOGY] fallen leaves?

patrick mccartney psdmccartney at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 08:25:59 UTC 2020

Dear Friends,

This morning, while on my constitutional walk around the lake near my
house, I sat and watched one tree shed most of its leaves in a few short
minutes. It reminds me of one of my favourite Sanskrit words - nipalāśam -
as softly or silently as the falling of leaves.

As the leaves fell, they made this crackling/scraping noise while passing
the other soon to follow leaves.

It made me wonder:
1) Is there a word describing the sound of leaves not falling softly or
silently?
2) Is there a word for the sound of a leaf hitting the ground?

All the best,

パトリック マッカートニー
Patrick McCartney, PhD
Research Affiliate - Organization for Identity and Cultural Development
(OICD), Kyoto
Research Associate - Nanzan University Anthropological Institute, Nagoya,
Japan
Visiting Fellow - South and South-east Asian Studies Department, Australian
National University
Member - South Asia Research Institute (SARI), Australian National
University

Skype / Zoom - psdmccartney
Phone + Whatsapp + Line:  +61410644259
Twitter - @psdmccartney @yogascapesinjap