[INDOLOGY] sources for the idea that reincarnation is a semi-random process?

wiese at wifa.uni-leipzig.de wiese at wifa.uni-leipzig.de
Mon Nov 16 06:38:29 UTC 2020

Dear Dean Andrson,

in JAtaka No. 544, a king "learns" that a good rebirth is unrelated to
good or bad karma heaped up in former lives. Examples of good deeds
accompanied with bad rebirths and vice versa are given. Rather, you
just have to wait very long and will finally be released. So, the king
draws the understandable conclusion of just going for enjoyment. But,
finally, the Buddha helps to overcome this pernicious view.
(Incidentally, the king offers a lottery to the Buddha and so, there,
we may have the world first definition of a probability.)

All the best from Leipzig
Harald Wiese