[INDOLOGY] a woman marrying a calf

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Wed May 27 19:02:38 UTC 2020

One might see:
https://www.academia.edu/11037037/Stith_Thompson_Motif_Index_Of_Folk_Literature_Revised_And_Enlarged_Version

But perhaps what was rather in mind was The Oral Tales of India, by Stith
Thompson and Jonas Balys?
This seems to be freely available here
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.32106000768348&view=1up&seq=19

Jonathan

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 5:15 PM Rolf Heinrich Koch via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Stith Thompson's
> Motif-Index of Folk-Literature:
>

> https://archive.org/details/Thompson2016MotifIndex
>

> Best
>

> Heiner
>

> Am 27.05.2020 um 16:02 schrieb Tieken, H.J.H. via INDOLOGY:
>
> Dear members of this list,
>
> A friend of mine, a sinologist, is working on a story (with versions
> in Chinese and Japanese), in which a princess marries a calf (young cow).
> The editor of the Chinese version writes that this is a common theme in
> South Asian story literature, but my friend has so far been to find any
> references to it. He checked Cowley's collection of jātaka stories and
> Laurits Bodker's on Indian animal stories.
>
> I myself am unable to help him either. For one thing, the name of the
> author of the index on motifs in Indian literature does not occur to me
> (Thomson?). I hope the motif rings a bell with someone on this list.
>
> With kind regards, Herman
>

> Herman Tieken
> Stationsweg 58
> 2515 BP Den Haag
> The Netherlands
> 00 31 (0)70 2208127
> website: hermantieken.com

> --
> Dr. Rolf Heinrich Kochwww.rolfheinrichkoch.wordpress.com

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk